My name is Pablo Mendez, My family just moved to Minnesota from Texas. I am 13 years old and I love skateboarding and playing video games. My family is originally from Mexico but, My parents rarely talk about it.
"Honey, do you want me to bring you to the nice skate park we saw on our way in" said my mom "Your father and I still need to unpack somethings"
"Sure" I say with a ear to ear smile
I hop in our families Toyota and my mom drives me to the skate park. As the car pulls up to the skate park I catch my first real glance of the park. It is AMAZING! It is much better than the one I used to skate in Texas.
"I'll pick you up in two hours. Be safe, Have fun, I love you" said my Mom through the car window
"I love you too" I replied.
I ran through the entrance and looked around. I decided to go to the half-pipe first. As I walked up to the ramp I was stopped my a boy around 4 inches taller than me.
"Hey Diego, You said you can skate this park" said the boy.
"I thought it was a public park" I firmly stated.
"It is for Middletown residents only"
"Actually, My family just moved to Middl-"
"I said Middletown residents only, Not no Mexican like yourself, NOW GET OUT OFF THE PARK"
His words stunned me. No one have ever treated me this way. My head fills up with anger.
"No" I said
"Well. Then I'll make you" he said as he took my skateboard and threw into the parking lot.
"Go back to Mexico you loser, and don't come back here unless you bring me a burrito" he said as half the people in the skate park laughed.
I ran out of the skate park trying as my hardest not to cry. I sat on the bench in the parking lot and waited for my mom to pick me up.
Around 2 hours later My mother picks me up. I decide no to tell her about what happened today. she would just freak out like she always does.
"How was it" my mom asks.
"It was boring, No cool ramps or anything"
"It looks pretty cool" My mom responded
"Nah I'll just practice in the garage"
"Whatever you say" my mom says with a smile
2 weeks later, as I am eating cereal I see in the local paper that there is an add for a skate contest at the skate park. A sudden idea pops into my head. Maybe If I win the contest I would be allowed to skate park. After school I run to the community center to sign up for the contest. The contest is in exactly in a week
and I need to brush up on my skills in the meantime. For the next week, I spend hours on end in the garage practicing all the tricks that I know.
Today is finally the day of the contest. So many people are crowed in and around the skate park. I see the judges and get a little nervous. I am put in the 13/14 year old group. I look around to see the competition and I see him. The kid who was making fun of me the first day.
The contest starts. I easily make through the first two rounds and to the final round. The only people who are left are Me, this kid named Derrick and the bully. The last challenge is to pull off the best trick on the half pipe. First Derrick goes, Then the bully, and then me. As Derrick goes to do a trick and falls on his ankle. He is injured and disqualified. Now just me and the bully. He starts off with an amazing spin that makes the crowd go crazy and finishes off with a big heel flip. The judges final score is a 9.5 out of 10. Now it's my turn. There are butterflies in the stomach as I look down from the top of the ramp at the crowd and the judges. I swoop in a do a Ollie and a series of other tricks. But I know they are not good enough to win. As I am about to do my final trick, I decide to do a 900. The 900 is one of the hardest tricks in history,which consists of spinning 2 and a half times in mid air. As get some air and start spinning as fast as I could. Time seems to go in slow motion, As all 4 of my wheels hit the ramp, the crowd goes absolutely insane. And then I realize, I JUST DID A FREAKING 900!!!!!!. The judges hold a sign with the number 10 as the crowd still roars. I never felt so happy in my life.
After the whole skate contest ends I get a huge trophy. After the ceremony the bully brings me to the side to talk.
"That was great skating out there, You have a lot of talent. I'm so sorry I was a jerk to you before, I promise I will let you in the skate park next time" Said the bully.
"Thanks Man. Whats your name by the way" I say
"Troy, What's yours"
"Pablo"
"Well see you at the park sometime,bye"
"Bye"
No comments:
Post a Comment