Haikus about 9/11
Crying and Heartbreak,
On a warm September day,
The whole city stops.
3,000 bright souls,
Including New York’s finest,
Erased from this world.
Ash drifting throught the air,
A reminder of what happened,
A few hours ago.
I wrote this haikus because I wanted to express my feelings about such a tragic day. I also was really interested about writing haikus.
Song of Myself
I hear the sound of the front door shutting,
I hear the shower raining down and the bathroom fan,
I hear the birds chirping near my window,
I hear dogs barking,
I hear a car’s horn,
I hear the coffee grinder, making sure I don’t go back to sleep.
I wrote this poem because i wanted to explore the sounds of when I lie in bed in the morning. The literary devices I used was: Free verse, line break, Imagery, Onomatopoeia, and Personification.
MY CITY
Life in New York City - what a pleasure;
When I do look around the Big Apple;
Bright lights beam like some marvelous treasure;
Giant skyscrapers and God’s great chapels;
Our five boroughs, all of them are unique;
Eight-hundred languages, many races;
A city that never sleeps is not bleak;
Coney Island to the Bronx’s bright faces;
Brooklyn’s brownstones and Manhattan’s taxis;
Tourists are in a New York state of mind;
Times Square on New Year’s Eve filled to maxi;
People say locals are mean but we’re kind;
We are the home of the very greatest;
We have the rich, powerful, and famous.
I chose this topic because I live in New York City and really like it and wanted to write about it. Some literary devices I used were: Simile, Allison, Rhyme, Rhythm, Imagery, Line break, and Tone.
Heart Poem
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
BY ROBERT FROST
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Responce
My heart poem is “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” By Robert Frost. I always loved this poem since I first heard this poem in a poetry unit my teacher had in the 5th grade. I really liked the way Robert Frost described his surroundings and his way with words. The way he wrote made me picture it really well in my mind. Then I was reunited with this poem in 6th in Ms.Catapano’s class. We had to recite this poem for a grade in front of the class.
This poem has a pretty simple meaning at the surface but you have to look deeper to find the true meaning. I believe that the meaning to this poem is to enjoy life but also work hard at the same time. One detail that supports my claim is “The woods are lovely dark and deep/But I have promises” (lines 13 & 14) This line shows even though that he really likes watching the snowfall in the woods he still has to buckle down and get back to work
This poem also has a lot of literary devices. Robert Frost uses devices such as, Rhyme, Rhythm, Imagery, Line Break, and Personification. Robert Frost uses theses devices in a really good and unique way.
No comments:
Post a Comment